Allan G. Donn
Allan concentrates his practice in the areas of partnerships and limited liability companies, taxation, and estate planning. He lectures and writes on those subjects, including numerous articles for The Journal of Passthrough Entities and in the September and November 2010 and July, 2011 issues of the Journal of Taxation. He is the editor of Limited Liability Companies in Virginia (3d ed. 2008) currently in the process of revision and is the author of Practical Guide to Limited Liability Companies in State Limited Liability Company and Limited Liability Partnership Laws. He has been a panelist on the annual ALI-ABA webcast on Choice of Entity since 2003, including the one aired on February 17, 2012.
Allan has been the Chairman of the Joint Editorial Board on the Uniform Unincorporated Organization Acts of the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws and the ABA, which reviews and recommends changes to the Uniform Laws. He was the ABA Advisor to the Revised Uniform Partnership Act Drafting Committee, ABA Advisor to the Uniform Law Enforcement Access to Entity Information Act Drafting Committee, and the ABA Business Law Section Advisor to the Harmonization of Business Entity Acts Drafting Committee. He has recently been appointed as the Reporter for the Uniform Laws Commission study committee to recommend whether the ULC should undertake uniform series entity legislation.
Formed joint venture Delaware limited liability company for nationwide construction equipment business, including drafting the agreement and advising on tax issues.
Formed partnership for nationwide publishing company, including drafting the agreement and advising on the partnership tax issues.
Formed joint venture between a United States national cable programmer and a Canadian media company for the creation of a Canadian cable weather service.
Advised NYSE company on fiduciary responsibility rules applicable to transactions with a partnership, other partners and affiliates.
Negotiated and prepared limited partnership agreements for NYSE company to participate in development of its land in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Indiana.
Acted as special counsel to venture capital investors on LLC and tax issues.
Represented investor in a number of venture capital media limited partnerships.
- Twenty-Eight Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2012 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2013"
- Attorneys Named in 2012 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Willcox Savage Partners Recognized in "Virginia Top 100" by Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2011 Legal Elite"
- Attorney Named "Trusts & Estates Lawyer of the Year" for 2012
- Willcox Savage Lawyers Recognized as Virginia's "Top 50"
- Fixing the Leaks in the Limited Liability Boat
- Twenty-Six Attorneys Named as 2010 Legal Elite
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2011
- Willcox Savage Lawyers Named "Top 50" in Virginia
- Twenty Attorneys Named as 2009 Legal Elite
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2010
- Nineteen Attorneys Named as 2008 Legal Elite
- Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2009
- Attorneys Named in 2008 Virginia Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named as 2007 Legal Elite
- Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2008
- Sixteen Attorneys Named in 2007 Virginia Super Lawyers
- Co-author, Who Can Sign an LLC or Partnership Tax Return? Journal of Taxation, September 2010
- Editor, Limited Liability Companies in Virginia (3d ed. 2008)
- Practical Guide to Limited Liability Companies in State Limited Liability Company and Limited Liability Partnership Laws.
- Freedom of Contract and Boilerplate Provisions of Business Entity Agreements
- Contractual Modification of Fiduciary Duties for Delaware Unincorporated Business Entities
- Limited Liability Entities for Law Firms - 10 Years Later